YE_R.fi I DIVINJJ s_i___ri- —TechmllL -_ Digitized by the Internet Archive in 2010 with funding from CARLI: Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois http://www.archive.org/details/fiftyyearsofpariOOharm Annunciation Church, 1650 North Paulina Street, Chicago FIFTY YEARS OF PARISH HISTORY CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION CHICAGO, ILL., 1866-1916 The Golden Jubilee of the Church and the Silver (Sacerdotal) Jubilee of Its Pastor, Rev- erend Joseph A. Glennon (1891-1916) By REV. THOMAS L. HARMON CHICAGO D. B. Hansen & Sons PUBLISHERS DEDICATION rpO THE PRIESTS AND SISTERS, the men I and women, Pioneers of the Annunciation Parish, "■" who, through their unfailing piety and spirit of self-sacrifice in the cause of Religion, have erected these noble monuments to the honor of the Living God, this Parish History is respectfully dedicated. The Author. Annunciation Rectory, May 14th, 1916 "Rise, too, ye Shapes and Shadows of the Past Rise from your long-forgotten graves at last Let us behold your faces, let us hear The words you uttered in those days of fear Revisit your familiar haunts again The scenes of triumph, and the scenes of pain And leave the footprints of your bleeding feet Once more upon the pavements of our street." CHRONOLOGICAL EVENTS— ANNUNCIA- TION PARISH 1866 — Father Thomas Burke Organized Parish — Built Church and Rectory. 1868 — Father Thomas Edwards Appointed Pastor. 1872— Sisters of Charity, B. V. M., Opened School. 1876 — New Church Dedicated by Bishop Foley. 1877 — Death of Father Edwards — Father Noonan Appointed Pastor. 1886— Death of Father Noonan — Father McShane Ap- pointed Pastor. 1888-9 — Building of New Convent, Academy and Rectory. 1905 — New School and Hall Erected. 1910— Father Hugh O'Gara McShane Leaves the An- nunciation. Is Appointed Pastor of Im. Con- ception. 1910 — Father Dominic Spellman Appointed Pastor (Feb'y), Death (Mch.) 1910 — Father William Hennessy Appointed Pastor (Mch. 17th), Death (Sept. 17th). 1916 — Golden Jubilee Anniversary Celebration. 1916 — Silver Jubilee Anniversary of Pastor — Rev. Joseph A. Glennon. FIRST YEARS OF THE PARISH. DURING the closing years of the Civil War a con- siderable number of Irish immigrants, mostly from the County Clare, settled down on the prairie, bordering on the North Branch of the Chicago River and in what was at that period called the Rolling Mill District. The first settlers of the "Valley" had emi- grated from their native land to better their worldly prospects, and fortune smiled upon their efforts; work in the rolling mills was plentiful and remunerative; re- joicing in their own modicum of prosperity they un- selfishly endeavored to have their friends and neighbors, in the old country, come to this land of plenty, to share in their abundance. And so it came to pass at length, that some two hundred families of native Irish found their way to the thriving settlement on the North Branch of the River; they formed the nucleus of what was to be the pioneer parish of the North West Side. In the year 1865, there was but one Catholic Church, St. Columbian's, in all that part of the city lying north of Lake Street and west of the Chicago River. The venerable pastor of the district, Father Thomas Burke, experienced every inconvenience in looking after the welfare of his scattered flock; the cot- tages of his parishioners were spread out over the adjacent prairie, within a radius of five or six miles, with practically no means of transportation, in the whole district. The many families in and around the rolling mills, were forced to walk several miles in order to assist at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Father Burke, with the approbation of the Ordinary, set about the erection of a mission church for their greater con- venience in assisting at Mass. In the fall of 1865, he bought six lots at the corner of Wabansia Avenue and Paulina Street, and in the following year built a frame church and rectory on the new property. For the space of two years, a priest from St. Columbian's came to the new church of the Annunciation, each Sunday to say Mass; in the year 1868, the congregation had increased to such an extent as to warrant the appointment of a resident pastor. Right Reverend Bishop Duggan selected the Reverend Thomas Edwards as first resident pastor of Annunciation ; this zealous young priest, fresh from the shores of his native Ireland, immediately set about the reorganization of the parish. There was great need of a Catholic school for the education of the children of the parish; Father Edwards opened temporary school rooms in the basement of the church and gathered about him the dear little ones of his beloved parishioners. A layman, Mr. John Sexton, was the first teacher in the parochial school of the parish; afterwards the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, from Dubuque, were engaged to take charge of the school, coming to the Annunciation in the year 1872. Within the short space of three years, the parish had increased to such an extent that the old frame church was inadequate to accommodate the hundreds who flocked to Mass at the Annunciation ; a new church was of urgent necessity. During the spring of 1873, Father Edwards moved the frame church to a site on Commercial Street (Hermitage Avenue), just back of the original church location on Paulina Street, hnd immediately set about the construction of a new brick church. A stone basement, sixty feet wide by one hun- dred and sixty-five feet long, was completed in the early part of the year 1874, and Mass was celebrated from this time on, within its walls. The old frame church, during the interval, had Bishop Edward J. Dunne, (Dallas, Texas) been remodeled and was now used as a school and parochial hall. Hundreds of children were being instructed by the good Sisters in the commodious class rooms of the Annunciation School. Father Edwards gave his residence to the Sisters upon their advent and for some time afterwards he was without a parish house. In the fall of the year 1873, he had built a frame struc- ture, adjoining the new church, and this building served for years as a residence for the priests of the parish. The work of building a church, in our day is but a slight undertaking when compared with the laborious efforts required, fifty years ago. Father Edwards endured hardships and encountered difficulties, in the construction of his new church. Obstacles of which we cannot realize the magnitude in our day, were met with at every step of the work; the great fire had just devastated the whole adjoining region of Chicago; busi- ness property and homes had to be rebuilt and funds for church building came in very slowly. At this time too, the devoted pastor found his health in a very precarious condition; his arduous labors had weakened his frail constitution, yet he continued his work of com- pleting the new church of the Annunciation. After three years of constant toiling on the part of both pastor and people, the beautiful church was com- pleted ; it was of modified Gothic construction and easily provided seating capacity for over eight hundred people. The solemn dedication took place on the feast of the Assumption, August 15th, 1876; the ceremony was per- formed by the Ordinary of the Diocese, Right Rev- erend Bishop Foley, assisted by some thirty clergymen and in the presence of a vast concourse of the laity. Bishop Foley on this occasion paid a well deserved tribute to the untiring efforts of Father Edwards, in erecting this magnificent temple to the honor and glory of God and the name of our Blessed Lady; he con- gratulated the people of the parish, upon their fidelity to Holy Church and their self-sacrificing spirit in pro- viding this great edifice, from their scanty means, for the worship of God. Father Edwards, the first pastor and founder of the Annunciation Parish, was not destined to enjoy for any length of time, the fruit of his labors; hardly had he dedicated his beautiful new church, when he fell into a sudden decline of health. His arduous work in the upbuilding of the parish had been too much for his fragile constitution; he lingered for nearly two years, refusing to the very last to give up his work among his beloved parishioners; he died in the July of 1877. At his funeral there was a great gathering of the clergy from far and near. Father M. Lyons, a life-long friend, celebrated the Solemn Requiem for the repose of his soul. Bishop Foley paid a fitting tribute to this worthy priest, who gave his life for his flock. 1877-1886 SHORTLY after the death of Father Edwards, the Bishop of the Diocese appointed Father P. M. Noonan to the parish of the Annunciation. This brilliant young priest was given charge over one of the most flourishing parishes in the city. From a small and scattered congregation it had grown year by year, and at the time of Father Noonan's advent, over six hundred families dwelt within the confines of the parish. The in- flux of native sons and daughters of Erin, to the rolling mill district, continued for some years after the com- pletion of the new church. Their children flocked in great numbers, to the well conducted Sisters' school, at the corner of Wabansia and Commercial Street. Catho- lic societies and church organizations flourished in the Reverend Joseph A. Glennon, Pastor constantly increasing congregation, whilst one and all vied with the others in their liberal support of the church and in an endeavor to wipe out the parish indebtedness. In the year 1881, Father James Flaherty was ap- pointed assistant pastor of the Annunciation; several priests had in former years helped the pastors in the work of the parish, but a regular assistant was not assigned to the Annunciation until this period. Father Flaherty spent four years at the Annunciation. He labored assiduously, never sparing himself in his con- stant attendance upon the sick and poor; he accom- plished much in the upbuilding of the parish. Father Flaherty was appointed pastor of St. James' Parish, Rockford, Illinois, in the year 1885; he continued in Rockford over twenty years, endearing himself to all in the vicinity; in the year 1907, he was given charge of the large and prosperous parish of the Nativity, Chicago, and where he still lives today, honored and revered, after nearly forty years in the service of Holy Mother Church. Father James McLaughlin came to the Annuncia- tion as assistant to Father Noonan in the year 1884. At this period of the existence of the parish, the number of families had greatly increased and the zealous efforts of the clergy were taxed to the utmost; day and night they labored unceasingly, to supply the spiritual wants of an ever increasing congregation and none was more willing and self-sacrificing than Father McLaughlin. In the year 1886, Father James McLaughlin was sent to Rockford, 111., where he continued his priestly labors, in the new field of St. Mary's Parish. His days were few in his new parish; he was called to his reward after two short years. Father Noonan, the second pastor of the Annun- ciation did not live long to enjoy the happy fruit of his labors, in the parish. His health had long been in a distressful condition and finally he found himself unable to look after his arduous duties as pastor. After months of suffering, patiently borne after the example of his Divine Master, he died in the Spring of 1886. The years of his pastorate at the Annunciation were co-equal with those of his predecessor, Father Edwards, nine in number ; and the memory of his many self-sacri- ficing efforts, for the welfare of his dear people, is hal- lowed in the shrine of many loving hearts even unto this day. 1886-1910. AFTER the death of Father Noonan, Annuncia- tion Parish was not destined to be left, for any length of time, without a pastor. This prosper- ous and numerous congregation, made up of thousands of fervent Catholic people, was to be singularly blessed, in the choice of a new head of the parish. In looking about him for a shepherd of sterling qualities, to guide the flock of the Annunciation, Archbishop Feehan chose a brilliant and zealous } f oung clergyman, Father Hugh O'Gara McShane, at this time pastor of the thriving village of Wilmington, 111. Father McShane took possession of his new field of labor on the first of May, 1886. He found at the Annunciation, a well organized congregation, a beauti- ful and commodious church ; but many improvements to the existing properties and a new Convent and Rectory were a crying need of the growing parish. His first care was to provide the Sisters of the school with a suitable dwelling. In the year 1887, he erected the four story, brick Convent and Academy of the Annunciation, on the property at the corner of Wabansia and Hermit- age Aves., and immediately adjoining the parochial 10 Reverend Thomas L. Harmon, Assistant school. A life long friend and associate of Father McShane was the late Bishop of Dallas, Tex., Edward Dunne, and who at this period of our history, had charge of All Saints' Parish, this city. In his selection of plans for a new rectory, Father McShane turned to his friend and adviser. The erection of a commodious and model priests' house, at the Annunciation, in the year 1888, attests the taste and practical judgment of Bishop Dunne. The Bishop of Dallas always claimed the An- nunciation as his home parish; in fact, Bishop Dunne said his first holy Mass, in the June of 1871, at the altar of Annunciation Church. In the year 1888, Father Edward Griffin, newly ordained, was appointed assistant to Father McShane, at the Annunciation; this young priest came from his native Ireland to labor among his fellow countrymen in America, with a zeal and fervor which only increased with his years of labor. He has the record, in this Diocese, of having remained a curate or assistant, in the one parish, for seventeen years. His great work in the Annunciation would have, early in his career, brought him promotion to the head of a parish of his own, but Father McShane's great solicitude, to have with him so efficient a colaborer, held Father Griffin long years in the rolling mill parish. Father Griffin was appointed to organize the newly formed parish of St. Dominic, on the North Side, in the year 1905. Here he erected in an incredibly short space of time, a beautiful church and rectory. He did not live long, however, to enjoy the fruit of his labors. He was called to his reward in the year 1910. Annunciation Parochial School was brought to a high grade of efficiency under the guidance of Father McShane. The children of the congregation flocked to the school in such numbers that every available space 11 in the old frame building was utilized and yet a con- siderable number could not be accommodated. The great need of the parish was a new school building, with abundant room for all the children of the congregation, and then a commodious assembly hall, for social gath- erings of the parish. Although the zealous pastor of the Annunciation had burdened himself, during the twenty years of his incumbency, with many new build- ing projects and a general improvement of existing properties, he nevertheless started anew, and began the construction of a school and hall; in this work he was ably seconded by a committee of parishioners. The people of Annunciation Parish responded to the call of their pastor, for funds to build the new school, with a generosity and spirit of co-operation, which gladdened the hearts of the good Sisters, and at the same time assured to them a school building worthy of the great north-west section of Chicago. In the year 1906, the parish school was completed and the eight hundred or more children of the vicinity, gathered within its walls to learn words of wisdom from the Sisters of Charit3^ B. V. M., their very capable teachers. Subsequent to Father Griffin's departure from the Annunciation, a new assistant was appointed in the per- son of Father John L. Kelly, who was recently ordained. Father Kelly remained with Father McShane for four years, ably assisting him in his effective work for the salvation of souls. At the close of the year 1908, he was appointed to a position on the teaching staff of the Cathedral College. During the latter vears of Father Mc Shane's ad- ministration of the Annunciation Parish a new element was introduced into the great north-west section, of the city. Thousands of Poles, stalwart sons of Mother Church, settled in the rolling mill district, and in a short 12 Annunciation School and Convent space of time, built several churches of their own. The older parishioners of the Annunciation, finding the neighborhood too congested, gradually moved away to other sections of the city, and of the congregation, once numbering over one thousand families, there remained in the year 1910, but four hundred families. About this period a great sorrow came into the life of the venerable pastor of the Annunciation. He lost, by the hand of death, his beloved sister, Mary Ann McShane, his helper and companion in labor, for over thirty years. In the midst of his affliction and sorrow, Father McShane was appointed to a new church (1910), the parish of the Immaculate Conception, located on the north side. He did not live long in his new field of labor. His health had been gradually failing and after two years of his pastorate, at the Immaculate Concep- tion, he passed to his eternal reward. Few priests in the United States have exercised in the ministry more fruitfully than this venerable man of God. Filled with zeal and fervor he implanted in the hearts of the faithful, around him, a great spirit of faith and Catholic discipline. A lasting monument to his priestly life is to be found in the sterling Catholicity of the thousands, who have grown to manhood and womanhood, under his watchful care and instruction. 1910-1916 WHEN Father McShane removed to the Immacu- late Conception, as its pastor, the hearts of his old parishioners at the Annunciation were sad- dened at the loss of him who had guided them for over twenty- four years. They found some consolation, how- ever, in the fact that a life-long friend of their former pastor was to succeed him at the Annunciation, Father Dominic Spellman. On February 23rd of this year, a 13 farewell reception was tendered Father McShane, and his successor, Father Spellman, on the same occasion was given a hearty welcome. Hardly had the new rector settled his belongings in his new home, when he sud- denly expired of heart trouble. On the very day that Father Spellman was laid away in the Priests' Circle, in Calvary, the Most Rev- erend Archbishop Quigley appointed a new pastor for the bereaved parish, in the person of Father Wm. Hen- nessy. Father Hennessy came to the Annunciation, filled with bright prospects and hope for the future. He had for eighteen years, labored in the Calumet region, form- ing, during that period, two new parishes, St. Ailbe's and St. Joachim's ; he had made a record for parish work and church building. During his first few weeks at the Annunciation, he planned a complete renovation of the church and rectory, which were sadly in need of repairs. Hardly had the contract for remodeling been let, when the good pastor was stricken with a serious ail- ment. He was removed to the Mercy Hospital, where he lingered for nearly five months. The work planned by Father Hennessy was carried on under the direc- tion of Reverend Father Thos. L. Harmon, who was assigned to the Annunciation, as assistant pastor, in the early part of the year 1910. On the 17th of September, of this year, Father Hennessy succumbed to his fatal illness, dying just six months after his appointment as pastor of the An- nunciation. His funeral was the occasion of a great outpouring of priests and people to the ceremony. Archbishop Quigley celebrated the obsequies and in his address, paid a fitting tribute to the virtues of the deceased. Father Hennessy was buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. 14 Reverend Father Burke, Founder of Annuncia- tion Parish A remarkable coincidence is to be noted in this forty-fourth year of the history of Annunciation Parish. Four pastors ruled over the destinies of the congrega- tion during the short space of one year. After the death of Father Hennessy, Archbishop Quigley, for the third time within the year 1910, appointed a new pastor to the Annunciation. His choice on this occasion was a singularly happy one in as much as the new rector, Reverend Father Joseph A. Glennon, came to the An- nunciation with a bright prospect of many years of use- fulness before him. Father Glennon had spent seven years of successful work, in the parish at Stony Island, previous to his appointment to the Annunciation. The work of remodeling the church and rectory, begun by Father Hennessy, was taken up by the new pastor. A large new sacristy was added to the church ; the altars redecorated and a new electric power and lighting system installed throughout the entire church properties. Since the advent of Father Glennon im- provements reaching a total cost of thirty thousand dol- lars have been made. The parish property of the Annunciation, as it stands today, church, rectory, con- vent, academy and school, is worth, at an estimated value, over two hundred thousand dollars and is free from all indebtedness. During the six years of Father Glennon's pas- torate, the parish has diminished to almost a shadow of its former self. The glory of days gone by has passed forever. There remain in the parish today but one hundred and fifty families. The steady influx during the past ten years of foreign peoples into the territory covered by the Annunciation parish has been the direct cause of the emigration of the great body of parishion- ers. Today one-half of the parish is overcrowded with Russian Jews. The numerical loss of the Annuncia- 15 tion has been the gain of the new and prosperous parishes on the north and west side, all of which number today among their best families, hundreds of former Annunciation parishioners. Although the parish has lost in numbers, a spirit of good will and generosity is to be found among the few who remain; they continue with unbounded generosity, to bear the heavy burden of supporting their church and school. A notable ex- ample of this liberality is shown in the support given to our school wherein some two hundred children, who do not belong to the parish, are being educated free. Father Glennon and Father Harmon, his assistant, find their efforts ably seconded by the good will of their loyal parishioners. The Church Committee or Trustees for this present year and appointed by the Most Reverend Archbishop, for the Annunciation Parish are, Mr. Owen J. Cullen, of 1714 W. North Avenue, and Mr. John V. Purtell, of 1943 N. Robey Street. The parish is blessed in the service rendered by its very faithful and efficient choir, of some twenty voices. This body of self-sacrificing men and women has for years given their valuable time and efforts, for the praise and honor of God's Holy Name, in the Church. The choir leader and organist is Miss Mary Sullivan, who for over forty years, has given ,her time and services in this work for God's Holy Church. She has deserved the lasting gratitude of An- nunciation Parish. ^ This congregation has the singular honor of having given to God as ministers at His Altar, ten native sons of the parish, one of whom, Father Dunne, became Bishop of the Diocese of Dallas, Texas ; besides Bishop Dunne, the young men ordained from this parish as priests are: Reverend William Foley, pastor of St. Ambrose' Church, Chicago ; Reverend Edward Martin, 16 Reverend Thomas Edwards, First Pastor O. P., of St. Paul, Minn. ; Reverend Thomas V. Shan- non, S.T.D., Wilmette; Reverend James Walsh, Rev- erend John Grace, Reverend Patrick Griffin, Reverend Edmund Burke, Reverend John Campbell, Reverend Luke Lyons, all located in the various parishes of the city. Over eighty young women of the parish have de- voted their lives to the services of God, in Religion, dur- ing the years Annunciation parish has been in existence. Of this number, sixty or more are members of the Sis- ters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary; two young women of the parish are at this time Superiors of the Congregations to which they belong; Sister Mary Adora (Caverly), B. V. M., Provincial Superior of the B.V.M.'s, and Mother Good Shepherd (Caverly), S. G. S., local superior in Los Angeles, Cal. THE GOLDEN JUBILEE ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION 1866-1916 UNDAY, May 14th, was a memorable day in the history of Annunciation Parish. On this day occurred the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Founda- tion of the Parish. Fifty years ago, Father Thomas Burke organized the congregation and built the first church of the parish. With fitting pomp and sacred ceremony, this, the Golden Jubilee Anniversary, was commemorated. The Most Reverend Archbishop, George William Munde- lein, was present on the occasion, in the sanctuary. The Solemn Anniversary Mass was celebrated by Reverend Wm. Foley, assisted by Reverend P. Griffin as Deacon and Reverend E. Burke as Sub-Deacon. The Very Reverend Edward Hoban, V. G., was master of cere- 17 monies. The Jubilee Sermon was delivered by the Reverend Thomas V. Shannon, S.T.D.; at another place in this book, will be fomid a full account of this brilliant discourse. Over thirty church dignitaries and clergymen were present in the Sanctuary. Among those present were: Rt. Reverend Monsignor Fitz- simmons, P. A., Reverend Edward A. Kelly, James Cal- lahan, Father Furey, S. J., P. J. Tinan, P. Conway, J. Gilmartin, Jas. Welsh, J. C. Gillen, Jos. O'Reilley, Father Ambrose, C. P., Luke Lyons, Peter Shew- bridge, J. Suerth, John Campbell, Edmund Burke, Ed- ward Martin, O. P., Thos. L. Harmon. After the church services, the pastor, Father Glen- non, entertained the visiting Prelates and clergy at a dinner, in the Rectory. In the evening Solemn Ves- pers were chanted and a very eloquent sermon, appro- priate for the occasion, was preached by the Right Reverend Bishop McGavick. During the solemn Anniversary Mass in the morn- ing, hundreds of former parishioners of the Annuncia- tion were in attendance; several of those present had lived in the parish at the time of its organization, by Father Burke, fifty years ago! What hallowed mem- ories filled the minds of many, on this auspicious oc- casion. They sat today in the very seats their dear fathers and mothers, long since dead and gone, had occupied in their da}^ of zealous activity, as members of the dear old Annunciation parish. FATHER GLENNON'S SILVER (SACER- DOTAL) JUBILEE TWENTY-FIVE years in the service of God's Church, His priest and representative, in admin- istering to the spiritual needs of the faithful. The people of a parish may well rejoice and celebrate with 18 Reverend P. M. Xooxan, (1877-1886) fitting ceremonies, the occasion of their pastor's com- pletion of so many well spent years, in the ministry of Christ Our Lord. On Monday, May the 15th, Father Joseph A. Glennon, for the past six years pastor of the Annun- ciation, celebrated the Silver Jubilee of his Ordination to the Priesthood. The Jubilarian officiated at the Solemn Anniversary Mass, at half past ten, in the Church of the Annunciation, assisted by Reverend Wil- liam Foley as Deacon and Father Flood as Sub-Dea- con. The sermon was preached by Father Tinan, un- der whose paternal guidance Father Glennon first labored as an assistant, in parish work. There were present, for the occasion, over one hundred priests, friends of Father Glennon and old associates in the ministry. After the Mass, the visiting Clergy were enter- tained at a banquet in Annunciation Assembly Hall; Bishop Muldoon of Rockford and a life long friend of Father Glennon, presided at the festive board. In the evening, a great multitude, the parishioners and friends of the Jubilarian, gathered in the parish hall to do honor to their beloved pastor ; addresses were made, congratu- lating Father Glennon, upon this auspicious occasion. In the name of the parishioners, Mr. John E. Maloney presented to the pastor, a purse of several hundred dol- lars — a token of their love and appreciation. Tuesday morning, the third day of the Jubilee Cele- bration, Father Glennon sang a Solemn Requiem Mass, for the repose of the souls of deceased Priests, Sisters and parishioners of the parish. In the afternoon of the same day, the children of the parish gave an entertain- ment in honor of their beloved pastor ; their dear voices gave expression to the love and devotion of their loyal hearts. At the close of the reception, the sisters and 19 children presented Father Glennon with a beautiful gold chalice — a token of their love and appreciation — in grateful acknowledgment of his paternal care and interest in their welfare. Joseph A. Glennon was born in Louisville, Ken- tucky, in the year 1862; his parents were John Glennon and Margaret Daly Glennon, natives of Kings County, Ireland. After the close of the Civil War, the family came to Chicago and located in the neighborhood of Bridgeport, on the South Side; here this devout Catho- lic family dwelt for over thirty-five years, attending first, the Church of the Holy Family and afterwards All Saints' Church. In his boyhood, Father Glennon attended Holy Family parochial school and after his grammar course was completed, he entered St. Ignatius College. At the conclusion of his collegiate studies, the young man entered St. Mary's Seminary, Baltimore, as a can- didate for the priesthood. In the year 1891, Joseph A. Glennon was ordained priest, by the Most Reverend Patrick A. Feehan, Archbishop of Chicago. His first appointment was to the Church of the Holy Rosary, Pullman, 111., and where he acted in the capacity of assistant to Father Tinan. In the year 1892, Father Glennon was sent to St. Thomas Church, on the south side, to assist Father Carroll in the work of the parish; after six years he went to St. Mathew's, where he re- mained five years. In the year 1903, he was appointed pastor of St. Ailbes Church, Stony Island. This parish was situated in a neighborhood where the parishioners were poor and few, and the parish priest found his bur- den a heavy one ; in spite of all obstacles, Father Glen- non labored successfully in this territory for over eight years. In the year 19i0, the Church of the Annuncia- tion was bereaved in the loss of its pastor, Father Wm. 20 Reverend Hugh O'Gara McShane, (1886-1910) Hennessy. In appointing a new rector, Archbishop Quigley selected the well deserving pastor of St. Ailbes Church, as meriting promotion to the Annunciation. Father Glennon came to the Church of the Annuncia- tion, in September, 1910, accompanied by his devoted sister, Miss Mary Glennon. Here he continues today, in the midst of a loyal and appreciative congregation — loved and honored by all who know him. Ad multos Annos ! ANNUNCIATION SCHOOL AND THE SISTERS OF CHARITY, B. V.M. THE first class of school children in the Annuncia- tion Parish, was gathered together in the fall of 1869, and a school master of the old country type, John Sexton, was engaged to teach the children of the rolling mill district. Final arrangements were made with the Sisters of Charity, B. V. M., of Dubuque, to take charge of the school, in the year 1871, and the little band of Religious came to the Annunciation, to open the work of teaching, which was to be, in the years to come, a source of such countless blessing to the people of the parish. Two Sisters in particular of the original band, who first came to the Annunciation, are lovingly remem- bered by the thousands of children who were taught in the school in the past forty years : Sister Mary Loyola, who passed to her eternal reward last year, and Sister Mary Aquin, who is still at the Annunciation School, after over forty years of continual service therein. Father Edwards, upon the advent of the Sisters, gave up his own parochial residence, that the teachers of his school might have a suitable residence. The old frame church was removed from the corner of Paulina Street and Wabansia Avenue, to make room for the new 21 brick church, and remodelled into a school for the children. As the parish became larger, the number of children in the school increased, and after a few years the Sisters had under their care over six hundred children. During the early years of Father McShane's pas- torate, his first care was to provide for the Sisters a more commodious dwelling; accordingly he built, in the year 1889, a large convent and academy, at the corner of Wabansia Avenue and Commercial Street (Hermit- age Avenue), and provided it with a spacious chapel, for the celebration of Mass. In the year 1903, the ques- tion of building a new school was agitated by the par- ishioners. The old building was inadequate and un- suitable in many ways; a modern school and hall were badly needed in this large and flourishing parish, which contained within its boundaries, over a thousand families. Work on the new school began in the spring of ] 905 and a magnificent building, containing twelve class rooms, and a spacious assembly hall, was completed and ready for occupancy in the fall of the same year. For over forty-seven years, have the Sisters of Charity labored in the Annunciation Parish, and what untold good have they accomplished in their work of educating the children! God alone knows the diffi- culties they had to overcome, and the painstaking per- severance with which they continued on, during all these years, in a labor of love — bringing the little ones to the feet of Jesus. There are at present, twelve Sisters at the Annunciation Convent, ten of whom are teaching in the school; the superior is Sister Mary of the Angels. Of the twelve Sisters in the Convent, three have been at the Annunciation over twenty-five years, Sisters Mary Aquin, Mary David and Mary Burissima. During the period of forty-seven years the Sisters have been in the 22 Reverend James Flaherty Parish, over sixty young women, native daughters of the Parish, have become members of the congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The following Sisters came from the Annunciation: Sister Mary Oswald Armstrong, Mary Carena Casey (Dead), Mary Priscilla Ryan (Dead), Mary Louise Gallagher (Dead), Mary Consolata Connell, Mary Vincent Connell, Mary Edward Hallinan, Mary Leocretia Hallinan (Dead), Mary Guadentia Halli- nan, Mary Blandina Lyons (Dead), Mary Cleonica Purtell, Mary Cleonica Cavanaugh, Mary Alphonse Kiltz (Dead), Mary Cajetan Sanders, Mary Adora Caverly, Mary Gervase Tuffy, Mary Cyrilla Tuffy (Dead), Mary Ignatius Tuffy, Mary Lucillian O'Dea (Dead), Mary Reparata Martin, Mary Solana Beatty, Mary Savina Beatty, Mary Balbina Durkin, Mary An- tonia Durkin, Mary Petrona Doyle, Mary Consuela Martin, Mary Norbert Shannahan, Mary St. Joseph Crennan, Mary Lillian Carney, Mary Alexander Keeffe, Mary Blanda Kellet (Dead), Mary Meltreta Numis, Mary Severina Brennan, Mary Fredrick Smith, Mary Bibiana Shannon, Mary Ellen Curran, Mary Valerian Cullen (Dead), Mary St. Hugh O'Neil, Mary Vin- cenzo Mahoney, Mary Eulalia Canevin, Mary Venan- tia Mclnerny (Dead), Mary Vincentine Kelly, Mary Sylvana Sullivan, Mary Edgar Hickey, Mary Antoni- nus Weir, Mary St. Robert Lusk, Mary Sebastian Reilley, Mary Ursala Horn, Mary St. Francis of Assisi Horn, Mary Azaria Flynn, Mary Calasanctius Brennan, Mary St. Monica Clogan, Mary Cyrilla Burke, Mary Delphine White, Mary St. Cuthbert White, Mary Adelma Burke, Mary Ignace Mann (Dead), Mary Sigismund White. 23 TOTAL ABSTINENCE SOCIETIES IN ANNUNCIATION PARISH FATHER EDWARDS, first pastor of the An- nunciation, upon coming from his native Ireland to his new field of labor, brought with him the spirit of the great Apostle of Temperance, Father Mathew. Shortly after the organization of the parish, the pastor deemed a Total Abstinence Society one of the great needs of the congregation. Accordingly his first care was the institution of a large and active temperance organization. In furtherance of his ardent desire to imbue all with that great Christian virtue of Self Denial as fol- lowed out in the practice of Total Abstinence, he placed in a prominent position, in his new church, a memorial window, bearing the likeness of the great Father Mathew. As the years went by, the Total Abstinence Society continued as a valuable adjunct of parish activity; and even at this late day we have living a surviving member of that first temperance society, Mr. James Branick, who took the pledge from Father Mathew himself and who possesses today the sacred emblem of his pledge, the medal pinned on his breast by the great Apostle of total abstinence. In the year 1887, Father McShane organized what was known at that time as the Father Mathew Temper- ance Society, in the Annunciation parish; a few years later a more formal organization, known as the Knights of Father Mathew, was established in the congregation. During the years that followed, the Total Abstinence membership increased and multiplied, and a club, with spacious quarters in the old school building", was or- ganized. At this time, Mr. John F. Cunneen took charge of the society in the parish and under his self- 24 sacrificing efforts and care hundreds of men and boys were interested in the cause of Temperance, not only in the Annunciation parish, but throughout the whole city likewise. No man in the United States has done more to promote temperance and total abstinence, to rescue the victims of intemperance from this awful vice and to strengthen youth against its allurements, than this zealous Christian worker. During the summer of 1893 the Temperance So- ciety of Annunciation Parish was awarded the grand prize, an original painting of the venerable Father Mathew, at the annual convention; the Annunciation Society not only exceeded any other similar organiza- tion in the country in number of members, but likewise acquired the greatest number of new members during the preceding year. In the following year the Fife and Drum Corps and the Cadets were organized by John F. Cunneen ; they were splendidly uniformed and for many years these two divisions of the Annunciation Total Abstinence Society were the pride not only of the Parish but of the whole city ; they made a splendid appearance at the many public church celebrations; on parade, in particular, on several momentous occasions, in the His- tory of the Archdiocese. On the occasion of holding the Annual State Conventions of the various Temperance Societies, the Annunciation Cadets and Fife and Drum Corps were frequently present; the cities of Ottawa, Peoria, Sterling, Galesburg, Joliet, Dwight and others were visited in this way, during the years of the organiza- tions' existence. Pictures of the Cadets and Fife and Drum Corps, of great interest to the older members of the parish, will be found at another place in this His- tory. The Temperance Society is still in existence in the Parish, although with greatly diminished numbers; the 25 present organization, called the Father Mathew League, is composed principally of boys; several of the older members of former days are very active members of the present society, in particular, Mr. John F. Cunneen, John E. Maloney, Martin J. Killeen, James E. Caverly and the State President of the Total Astinence Union of Illinois, Reverend Thomas L. Harmon. The Catholic Boys' Camp, an organization which has afforded hundreds of our boys throughout the city an annual outing, for the past three years, originated with the Father Mathew League, of Annunciation Parish and under its auspices. Camps for Catholic Boys were held annually for the past fifteen years under the auspices of the Catholic Temperance Societies, always planned and directed by Mr. John F. Cunneen. PIONEERS OF ANNUNCIATION PARISH PARISH PRIEST, in the upbuilding of church properties, is dependent, to a great extent upon the co-operation and moral support of his parish- ioners ; the willing hands and the hearty support of early settlers, in a congregation, have made possible many a noble Sanctuaiy, dedicated to the worship of God. Words cannot express the spirit of sacrifice, the persevering efforts which actuated the Pioneers of An- nunciation Parish; how they labored to perpetuate the worship of their Maker, in precincts of home and every day life, and with what zeal they sought to bring up their children, in the same spirit of faith and loyalty, to God and Holy Church. That their example may ever be our beacon light and their names ever be hallowed, in the sanctuary of our hearts, we shall here inscribe a partial list of the Pioneers of Annunciation Parish: William and Ellen Sullivan, Simon and Mary Ma- 26 Reverend Edward Griffin loney, Jas. and Mary Cullinan, Martin and Mary Qualey, Sr. Philip and Mary Dalton, Lawrence and Mary Foley, Capt. M. and Mary Connell, Dan. and Mary Carroll, James and Mary Caverly, James and Mary Ryan, Pat. and Mary Meaney, Pat. and Anasta- tia Meaney, John and Mary Beatty, Patrick and Mrs. Foley, Peter Foley, Mat. Foley, Patrick and Mary Hastings, Luke and Ellen Lyons, James and Mary Burke, Edmund and Mrs. Burke, Alex, and Johanna Burke, Andrew and Anna Caverly, James and Mary Mclnerny, Pat. and Bridget Hough, Martin and Mrs. Lane, Ml. and Elizabeth Tuffy, Ml. and Mrs. Smith, Patrick and Anastatia Furlong, Ml. and Mary Halli- nan, Lawrence and Mary Donovan, Thos, and Mary Cotter, John and Ellen Cotter, James and Mary Quinn, Dan. and Margaret Donahue, Jeremiah and Ellen Donoghue, M. and Mrs. McDonnell, Michael Campbell and wife, Ml. Corbett and wife, Cornelius Tierney and wife, Samuel Atkinson and wife, Dennis and Mary Griffin, Edward and Mary Mahoney, Pat. and Mary Mclnery, Pat. and Bridget Hough, Martin and Mrs. Hough, Edward and Margaret Monahan, Mrs. Helen O'Leary, Mr. and Mrs. Bohanan, Michael Purtell and wife, Patrick Cunneen and wife, Lawrence and Mrs. Archibald, Martin and Mary Fitzgibbons, John and Margaret Fitzgibbons, James Hanlon and wife. Mr. and Mrs. Shiel, Richard and Margaret Barry, Michael and Mary Ambrose, Patrick and M. Hanreddy, Patrick and Sarah Kenna, John and Mary Shannahan, John Gleason and wife, Michael Hartigan and wife, M. Bowler and wife, Mrs. Prindiville, Michael and Mary O'Dea, Michael Keeffe, Anthony Weir and wife, Michael Ryan and wife, Mrs. Bridget Murphy, Michael Quinlan and wife, P. A. Flynn and wife, Mrs. J. McGrath, Andrew Quigley and wife, Patrick Mon- 27 goven and wife, Mathew and Margaret Blake, Thomas Burns and wife, Tim Corcoran and wife, Herman Mo- kate and wife, Patrick Quill and wife, James McLaugh- lin and wife, Mrs. Hulsman, Mrs. Samuel Hough, Mr. and Mrs. Boyle, Patrick Curtis, Patrick Killeen and wife, Thomas Cahill and wife, Patrick and Elizabeth Walsh, Mrs. Lynn, Thomas Gallagher, Mr. and Mrs. J. O'Brien, Patrick and Mary Conway, Ml. McCann and wife, Thomas Thompson and wife, Mrs. G. Bender, Michael Lyons, Michael and Mary Whalen, Michael Dorsey, Franey Family, John and Mrs. Regan, Henry and Mrs. Berscheid, Simon Casey and wife, Ml. and Mrs. Layden, Thomas Mooney, Michael Kennedy, Mago and Mrs. Sullivan, S. Casper and wife, Con. Heffernan, Martin Doherty and wife, P. Purcell and wife, John Barrett and wife, John Galvin and Mary Galvin, Pat- rick O'Connor and wife, Dennis Morrissey and wife, Mrs. McGady, Mrs. and Mr. Ready, Pat. Russell, Ed. Patterson and wife, Michael Corbett, Mr. and Mrs. John Sexton, John Ljmch, Drennan Family, Martin Quinn, Dr. P. Curran, Mrs. W. Dimmer, Martin Cul- len and wife, Mrs. M. W. Conway, John Murphy and wife, Martin Hough and wife. THE MOST REV. GEORGE W. MUNDELEIN iHE MOST REVEREND GEORGE W. MUNDELEIN is an American of German descent — his father's family hailing from West- phalia. His maternal grandfather was one among the very first New Yorkers who responded to President Lin- coln's call for volunteers in 1861 and died on the battle- field for the cause of the Union. On July 2, 1872, and in the old parish of St. Nich- olas, then on the upper East Side of New York, it was 28 Reverend W. S. Hennessy, (1910) that the child destined to rule one of the world's most important archdioceses first saw the light of day, the Mundeleins having been faithful members of this par- ish for more than fifty years. Young George W. Mun- delein received his primary education at the St. Nich- olas parochial school, and thence entered the LaSalle Institute, where he was graduated in 1887, to become a graduate of Manhattan College two years later. Before his matriculation at the latter college, there to study for the priesthood, he was offered a cadetship at Annapolis by President Cleveland, but declined the appointment because he felt himself called to the service of God as His priest and could not be satisfied with the prospect of a mere worldly career, however brilliant it might come to prove. While he was a student at Manhattan College, his excellent work drew upon him the attention of the Right Reverend C. E. McDonnell, then private secretary to Archbishop Corrigan. Mgr. McDonnell was made Bishop of Brooklyn in 1892 and the highly favorable impression he had formed of young Mundelein caused him to befriend the latter cordially when after a course in philosophy at St. Vincent's' Seminary, Penrr, Geo. W. Mundelein passed four years at the Urban College of the Propaganda, Rome, in the study of theology, tak- ing at the same time a special course in the Liturgical Academy. Although it is the Cardinal Vicar of Rome who or- dains the students of Urban College, Father Geo. W. Mundelein was ordained by Bishop McDonnell — through a special courtesy of the Cardinal Vicar — in 1895. He celebrated his first Mass in St. Peter's. The College of the Propaganda then conferred on him the degree of D. D., and later on, in 1908, the further degree of S. T. D. 29 After the young priest's return to America, Bishop McDonnell first put him in charge of a Lithuanian church — in Williamsburg — and within a short time, in 1897, entrusted him with the responsible and difficult office of chancellor of the diocese of Brooklyn. The year 1901 witnessed Father Mundelein's ele- vation to the dignity of domestic prelate to His Holiness, with the title of Monsignore. And in 1909 Mgr. Mun- delein was made titulary Bishop of Loryna and auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn. Previously he had been Hector of the Queen of All Saints parish and synchronously Rec- tor of the Chapel of St. Mary of the Isle, the latter be- ing a summer-mission at Long Beach. And the next hierarchical promotion of the Right Reverend George W. Mundelein took place in 1915, when toward the end of the year, His Holiness Bene- dict XV appointed him to the Archbishopric of Chica- go, left vacant by the death of Archbishop Quigley, and by so doing had him become the youngest Archbishop, as he was the youngest Bishop, in America. Archbishop Mundelein's tremendous energy and capacity for work (truly effective work, mind you) is perhaps best illustrated by the fact, that as Auxiliary Bishop of Brooklyn he held, and thoroughly filled, not less than ten positions at one and the same time, since besides being Auxiliary Bishop, Rector of the Cathedral Chapel Queen of All Saints, and Rector of St. Mary's Chapel at Long Beach, he was also Diocesan Consultor, Director of the Diocese, Rector of the Immaculate Con- ception Preparatory Seminary, Director of Diocesan Cemeteries, Director of the Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum Society, President of the Tablet Publishing Co., and Spiritual Director of the Cathedral Club. To his zealous, intelligent and constant efforts were very largely due, among other accomplishments, the 30 ^ a c < improvements which have made the Brooklyn Orphan Asylum a model institution; the building up of the Brooklyn Preparatory Seminary; the erection of the seaside Chapel of St. Mary of the Isle; the success of the Brooklyn Cathedral Club, a splendid organization of Catholic lay manhood ; the excellence of the Catholic publication known as "The Tablet"; and the glorious beauty of the finest building in Brooklyn, the Cathedral Chapel of the Queen of All Saints. Still another distinction achieved by Archbishop Mundelein before he was invested with the Pallium is that of having fervently and forcefully followed the lead of Pius X, of saintly memory, in combating the evil of modernism. Let it be added that His Grace of Chicago is a rarely gifted linguist who speaks fluently almost all the languages current in cosmopolitan Chicago — and no more need be said to establish beyond a doubt this arch- diocese's flawless title to exceedingly "great expecta- tions" of and for its Archbishop and itself. 31 Reverend William Foley Reverend Edward A. Martin, O. P. Reverend M. J. Breen, C. S. V. Reverend Thomas V. Shannon, Reverend P. M. Griffin Reverend Edmund Burke Reverend John Campbell Reverend Luke Lyons CATHOLIC THEOLOGICAL UNION BX1418.C4H3 C001 FIFTY YEARS OF PARISH HISTORY CHICAGO 3 0311 00041 2473 *7Zf/ 1 book, please write name and date on card and place card in CARD-DROP. book is returned ON TIME: offers may be waiting for it. JNDLY refrain from de- facing this book in any way, and atso from leaving MARKERS of any kind between the pages.